Thursday, January 14, 2010

photo of the day...


When I first saw this photo by Hannah Stocker posted on one of my favourite blogs, http://athoughtistheblossom.blogspot.com, I was instantly drawn to it... The post was entitled Vanitas, referencing the popular 17th century still-life genre of painting that focused on a series of objects as symbols for the the vanity of earthly possessions/endeavors, all the while nodding to the inevitability of death (let's just say that skulls were a popular motif). This was a crafty ploy designed to compel the viewer to consider their own morality, and consequently, repent for their many sins. Regardless, I love this photo. I'm not so much regretting any nights I spent in debauchery or my affinity for earthly possessions as I look upon it, but enchanted by its whimsy. It almost seems to me that the central character of the photo has fallen into an intoxicated slumber brought on by these so called "earthly pleasures". I don't know about you, but it doesn't look half bad to me...